Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thirsty Thursday...or Not.

It's Thursday and it feels like it should be Saturday. I could totally use a drink - or three - today. But alas, I shall be the responsible Auntie and pick up Jonathan from school and take him home, feed him, bathe him, and put him to bed. Okay, so maybe it's the responsible side of me, or perhaps it's the fact that if I don't, I know his mother would decapitate me. I hear he has tumbling this afternoon, which means he will be extra tired and foul. Luckily, I love him to death and even though I'd like a glass of wine, I'd rather spend time with him when he's cranky than most anything else.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and like millions of other Catholics (most of whom go 3 times a year - Christmas, Ash Wednesday, and Easter Sunday - a concept I have never understood because it's not like those are the only days that "count"), I went to Mass last night to get my ashes. This is the first time I've participated in a few years as I strayed for a bit. It was kind of nice. People have asked what I'm giving up for Lent - I don't really do the whole giving up thing - I usually do things to better myself. But then last night while listening to the homily, the Catholic guilt set in. If I'm not willing to make a personal sacrifice for the duration of Lent, then how deep could my faith possibly be? I don't really buy into the whole "I give up ice cream for Lent" or that sort of thing. I guess I just haven't found anything that would be meaningful enough to even consider. Carlie said I should give up something crazy. I don't think I'll publish what I blurted out in response - but let's just say, it was not an appropriate thing for a single Catholic girl to be saying. And to that I say - Whatever.

That's it for now - off to the 'tuke to pick up the boy from school.

No comments: